Chicken & Vegetables with Ginger Peanut Sauce over Coconut Infused Brown Rice

That is quite the recipe title!  This was my first creation with the some of the Ginger People stuff I scored

I saw this Ginger Peanut Dipping and Cooking Sauce.....


...and immediately thought "skewers!"  However, the BBQ scares me....I cannot control open flame of that caliber.  The BBQ is assigned to The Cyclist, who is an excellent BBQ chef.

On said night of cooking this dish, the BBQ chef was not available, so I came up with something slightly different than my original idea of skewers....this is kind of indoor skewers...or...whatever.

Anyway, here goes....

First, I apologize I don't have my normal recipe photo of "The Suspects" for the dish, I was throwing this out on the fly, so here is a nifty list instead:
  • 2 cans of coconut milk (Note - buy this at Trader Joe's if you can.  I got it at the regular grocery store and it was seriously about $2 more per can.  Wow!)
  • Brown Rice - I used organic
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 Bell Pepper (any color) - I used green
  • 3 large carrots
  • 1/2 a red onion
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • Red Chili Pepper
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Start the rice first....
(This probably seems obvious, but I often forget to get my rice going first and it always takes longer than I expect.)


The rice I used called for 1 part rice to 2 parts water.  To give it the coconut infusion, I substituted 1/2 of the water for coconut milk, then added half a measurement more of water.  
For example, if you are doing 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water, instead do 1 cup of rice, 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 and 1/2 cups of water.  The coconut milk cooks down more than the water, which is why you want to throw in some extra agua, or else your rice will be a little hard. 
Trust.


My rice also called for some butter, so I threw that in too.  This photo is not very appealing.  It did taste good when it was done though.  I promise.

Next, chop up your carrots and get them ready to steam...


...this is where I screwed up a little bit.  Put your carrots on to steam just after you start up that rice.  I waited and they were not ready in time, I had to hold everything else up to wait for them.

So, steam now brown cow!
Sorry, couldn't resist the rhyme action.


Next, chop up some bell pepper...

 

...and some onion...


...saute them together...


...don't forget to throw some garlic in the mix...


...once that is going, start getting your chicken ready.  I pounded mine out with a mallet, then added some salt pepper and red pepper flakes for extra spice...


...I cooked it in this super awesome grill pan we got as a wedding gift.  I really love this thing!


Once the chicken was done, I chopped it up and added it and those steamed carrots to the other veggies...


...then added the Ginger People Ginger Peanut Sauce and some coconut milk...


I did equal parts  Ginger People Ginger Peanut Sauce and coconut milk, but when I make this again I would do more  Ginger People Ginger Peanut Sauce and less coconut milk.  More spicy, less sweet.

The finished product...


(that drip on the side of the plate was strategically placed as an artistic piece in this work of food art)

Yum!


Overall this turned out pretty good.  It was a nice alternative to regular stir fry and I liked the spicy peanut-coconut combo.  I put the entire recipe on Tasty Kitchen.

Bon Appetit!







Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments! Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover