Pumpkin Madness Day Two - Spicy Pumpkin Hummus


Let's start at the end instead of the beginning....
Ladies & Gents, introducing Spicy Pumpkin Hummus....


YUM.

Why am I starting at the end?
For a few reasons.
1.  It took me much longer to produce this result than I originally anticipated (SWS strikes again).... I imagined the idea on October 7th and shared it with the Twitterverse....


The Cyclist's Wife
A brilliant Fall recipe idea just popped into my mind. Can't wait to see if it tastes as good as it sounds!
....but didn't actually produce until now.  Not exactly speedy.

2.  When I finally got around to making this, The Cyclist was out of town with our camera...

(not bad right?  The Cyclist is a better picture taker than me)

Anyway.  

I was left at home with my iPhone.  And Hipstamatic.
So I decided to get artistic and use the shake feature after each set of photos.
The result is the schizophrenic photo montage you will see below.

3.  I sort of turned into a mad scientist while making this.  Do you know how much it takes to get pumpkin spicy?  Well, you'll see below.  

So, with my delay, crazy photos and mad scientist approach, I figured you'd all be scared away if I showed you this ↓ hot mess first & I think you deserved to see the end result first after waiting so long.

Don't be scurred.  The Spicy Pumpkin Hummus is goo-ood!

I roasted my own pumpkins and used 1 cup of fresh pumpkin. 
You can probably use canned too...I saw some organic canned pumpkin at my local co-op the other day.





Some of the many spices.....






I used this method for preparing the Tahini.  
I did not use the same ingredients or ingredient measurements though.

Curdled....






Smooth...






Tahini mix into pumpkin mix....





.....gotta have some garlic....






I crushed mine...





Cilantro...











When I got this I wasn't anticipating using it in hummus, but it did the trick!






Red hot peppers...






...cut...





...cored & ready to roast...





....roasted...





...chopped up and being added to the mix...





Here is what my kitchen looked like upon completion.
Crazy town.



Let me just say, miracles do happen to hummus overnight.
At this point in making the hummus, I though it was a recipe fail.
I threw it in the fridge and said "I quit".
The next day, it tasted good.
The day after that, it tasted really good!
Enjoy.
Recipe below & at Tasty Kitchen
What:
1 cup fresh pumpkin (or canned)
1 cup garbanzo beans (aka chick peas, drained)
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic pepper
1/2 tsp. red cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4-1/2 cup water + 1 tbsp water
2 tbsp. tahini
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro (chopped)
2 tbsp. pickled ginger (or less fresh ginger)
2 tbsp. chopped roasted red hot pepper
2 tbsp. honey
4 tbsp. olive oil

How to:

Slice & core the hot pepper.  Place it on a cookie sheet and high broil in your oven until the skins turn black.  Put them in a plastic bag to steam for about 15 minutes.
While the peppers are roasting, put the pumpkin in a food processor.
Mix all of the dry spices and add it to the pumpkin, blend.
My pumpkin mix was not that smooth at this point, so I started adding water by the tablespoon.  I used about 1/2 cup all together.
In a separate dish, mix the tahini with the lemon juice.  It will start to curdle at first, then become smooth as you mix it.  Add the additional 1 tbsp. of water to this mixture to help it become smooth.  Once the mix is smoothed out, add it to the pumpkin mixture and blend.
Add the cilantro and pickled ginger to the mixture and blend.
Your peppers should be about done.  I tried to peel the skin off of mine and it didn't work, so I chopped them, skin on, and added them to the pumpkin mixture, then blended.
You will have to blend this quite a bit, stirring in between, to make sure you don't have any chunks of ginger or red pepper.
Once the mixture is smoothed out, add the honey and blend.
Last, add the olive oil and blend well.
Put the completed hummus in a sealed container in the fridge overnight.  The flavors will meld and it will be good to go the next day.

We enjoyed this with Indian Naan bread from Trader Joe's.

I'm linking at the following sites:
The Healthy Home Economist
New Life on a Homestead
Make Ahead Meals for Busy Mom's
My Sweet & Savory
Hey What's for Dinner Mom
Delightfully Dowling
Simply Sugar & Gluten Free
All the Small Stuff
Real Food Forager
Growing Home
Kelly the Kitchen Kop
The Tasty Alternative
The Kings Court IV
The Gluten Free Homemaker
This Chick Cooks
Lady Behind the Curtain
We are that family
Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Pennywise Platter
Food Renegade
Ann Kroeker. Writer.
Food Trip Friday
Real Food Freaks
Life as Mom
Tidy Mom
Little House in the Suburbs







Print Friendly and PDF

10 comments:

  1. I linked this post to my monthly round-up. Great job – looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious. I am considering this for Thanksgiving. I am hosting a Pumpkin Delight recipe series in a few weeks and I wondered if you would like to contribute this recipe. For more information, send me an email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Savannah, thanks! I'll shoot you an e-mail!

      Delete
  3. Reading this, I'm having trouble imagining how it tastes all combined. Also I need to figure out your tahini trick. I'm not sure the link led me to the right place. When I get it all sorted out, though, I'm trying this in order to have a more fall version of hummus. Thanks for linking to Food on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, it is my favorite hummus yet. It has the nice pumpkin taste with some heat behind it. I checked the link and it is working for me. There are two videos on her sidebar where she demonstrates mixing the tahini with lemon juice to smooth it out. I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Your Pumpkin Hummus is just awesome, I can't wait to give try it. Perfect for game day. Hope you have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love it if you visited my new Gluten-Free Monday party at OneCreativeMommy.com and linked up this and any other idea you would like to share. I hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi, I'll add the link to my list! Thanks for the invite.

      Delete

I ♥ comments! Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover