Costa Rican Black Bean Dip

Let me start by saying there is not actually anything Costa Rican about this dip.

I took a trip to Costa Rica about 6 years ago...


...the only store was a tiny market that sold mostly canned food and some refrigerated stuff.

We spent all of our nights eating out, but on some days, we needed an afternoon snack.

Costa Rican Black Bean Dip was born.

Start with some white or yellow onion and garlic (chopped & minced)...






Melt a pad of butter in a medium-hot sauce pan...






...BTW, did you know a "cube" of butter is 2 tablespoons or 2 ounces?
Interesting.

Meanwhile, once your "cube" of butter has melted, 
throw in the onion and garlic and saute...






...stir it all around.
Once your onion starts to get translucent....






...add in a can of re-fried black beans.

(Mine are in a Tupperware because I accidentally opened the re-fried beans instead of whole black beans, so I stuck them in the fridge until I could make this dip).

Additionally, upon returning home from Costa Rica, I modified this recipe to add 1/2 can of whole black beans, drained.






Dump all your beans in with the onions & garlic and stir around.

Sorry, I couldn't get a good photo of this to save my life, but you get the idea.






P.S.  I don't know if re-fried black beans can look pretty no matter how you photo them.

Turn the temp down to low-ish (that should be a setting on your oven for sure).

Grade up a cup of your favorite cheese...I used Colby Jack...






...add the grated cheese to the beans.
(I think this was modified too - I believe we only had processed cheese slices in Costa Rica.)

Stir it all in and get it nice and gooey.
While your cheese is melting, think of Costa Rica (this is a recipe requirement)...




...then add in 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa...
I used some pico we had left over from a BBQ.
Anything to give it spice will do, even Pace.






Mix the salsa into the bean/cheese mixture.
And now the fun part!
Put your dip in a bowl.
Cover the whole top of the dip with your favorite hot sauce, top with chunks of avocado,
surround with chips...
Viola!






Now, a note on the hot sauce:
I think Tabasco would be too watery for this, not to mention it would probably take 100 years and the whole dinky bottle to cover the top of your dip.
You could use the same salsa that you mixed in to the dip, but I prefer a hot sauce on top as opposed to a salsa, that's just me though....




Personally, I think the best hot-sauce topper for this would be Cholula..
But.
This time I used Siracha....




...and Nana just about burnt her mouth off because I didn't warn her in time.

So, the idea is, as peeps dip, the hot sauce runs down into the beans.
But if you use lip-burning sushi hot sauce on your Costa Rican bean dip, provide a warning label.
Just Sayin'.

The Oso agrees with me...


...just ask him.

Meanwhile, enjoy your Costa Rican Black Bean Dip.





P.S.S.  The left-overs of this are really good inside a tortilla.  Burrito Presto!

Ingredients:

1 small white or yellow onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of butter
1 15oz can of re-fried black beans
1/2 15oz can of whole black beans, drained
1 cup of grated cheese, whatever your favorite is
1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
1 avocado, cut into bite sized chunks
4-6 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce (enough to cover the top of the dip)

How to:

Chop the onion.
Mince the garlic.
Melt the butter in a medium sauce-pan.
Add the onion & garlic and saute until onions become translucent.
Add in all beans and reduce heat to low, stir.
Add in grated cheese and stir until melted.
Add in salsa and stir until mixed.
Put bean dip in your serving bowl.  
Cover top of beans completely with your favorite hot sauce.
Put chopped avocado on top.
Serve with chips.

The whole recipe is also available at Tasty Kitchen!


Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Looks good... I wish you would have posted this yesterday so I could have made it while watching Football! Instead, I managed to handle a jar of the Trader Joe's Garlic Chipotle Salsa.... Yes it's amazing and would go well with this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried that one Mr. Bestie. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover