The Tale of The Lonely Tomato

Ah a backyard garden.  We had a huge one at my dad's house when I was a kid.  I loved it and I love the idea of going right into my backyard for fresh delicious food.

The Cyclist and I have been wanting to do a garden for a long time, but cycling usually gets in the way of us doing anything around our house in the summer.  But since The Cyclist is taking a bit of a cycling break (had you noticed?), we've managed to pull a few things together this year.  Woot-woot!

So, let's start at the end of this tale.


Meet our little heirloom tomato.  Ignore the split down her side.
Isn't she lovely?

We started our garden with seeds in cups...


...we had big dreams of growing lots of things...


...some of these sprouted, but then we lost them.  We probably could have been better at caring for them, but the hot/cold/hot/cold weather in late spring wasn't helping matters either.

Our tomatoes started as little baby plants, heirlooms that I got at the farmer's market.  We put them in pots, and then in the ground.

We tend to them with care.


But alas, so far we have only grown that one lovely, lonely tomato.
What the heck?!  I say.  I just don't get it.

And to add to the mystery, our tomato plants are now giant...


...with lots of flowers, but nothing since that one little tomato.
It makes me wonder if we should stick to being Mystery Gardener's.

Oh well.  She sure did taste good on our salad.
Which reminds me....Summer Bucket List item #5, check!

Now cross your fingers that we'll get some more tomatoes!
Have a happy day!


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments! Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover