Do you know your State Food?

I didn't even know there was a such thing as a "State Food" until I saw this article today Shine-Yahoo Most Bizarre State Foods.  There is no mention of a California State Food, so I was curious as to what it could be and I started searching around.  I found the official list of State Foods on Wikipedia List of U.S. state foods, which not only includes the State Food, but State Nut, State Fruit, State Pie, State Grain, State Vegetable, State Snack Food ?! Who knew?

Check out Maine who not only has a State Soft Drink,











but also a State Treat!








Yet, still no mention of California!

My search led me to these two sites Foodtimeline & Travel Gather, which both indicate California's State Fish is The Golden Trout.
Kind of a pretty fish.  I don't know what it tastes like, I've never had it, in fact, I've never had any type of trout. 

Both sites give some examples of what California's State Food could be including some I thought were interesting like the Monte Cristo Sandwich,
which Foodtimeline says, "According to several articles published in newspapers and magazines, Monte Cristo sandwiches were first served in southern California and were very popular in the 1950s-1970s".  Hmm, I did not know this.  I would not think of this as California Cuisine.

Both Foodtimeline and Travel Gather also mention Chop Suey as a potential California State Food.
I don't think I realized Chop Suey was even a real thing!  Foodtimeline says "The stir-fried hash was invented, according to tradition, in a San Francisco restaurant during the wee hours one morning when a rowdy group of holidaying diners would not hear of the Chinese cook's plea that he had no food."  
So what should California's State Food be?  I think there are too many good things to choose from to pick just one! Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. I think PB&J's due to the number of cyclist in this state. I know I go through at least a loaf of Milton's a week and they are all PB&J's or PB&Honey..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not have thought of PB&J for a State Food, that is a good suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments! Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover