Marinara #3 - Mighty Mushroom


Howdy.  How is everyone today?
Good, I hope.
Do you like mushrooms?
I do.
Especially with onions and garlic.
And of course...sauteed.
Guess what?
I found a nifty new collage app on my iPad when I finally upgraded to iOS5.
I wasn't sure if you noticed.
Hey, by the way, tomatoes are good too.

Especially when you're making marinara.

And when that marinara is Mighty Mushroom,
fancy mushrooms are good too.
I got mine at the farmer's market from Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms.
They also sell these nifty growing kits...
When you mix all that goodness together you get hot, steamy mushroom madness.


Viola!

In other news.  I tried this recipe which was adapted from another recipe.
The blogosphere has been raving about it.
My take:
Not worth the butter!
I think you can make a just as tasty marinara with way less (or no) butter.
And if I'm going to consume 5 tbsp. of butter in one dish, it better be worth it.
Just sayin'.

Mighty Mushroom Marinara recipe below.
Ingredients:

1 8oz. package whole white mushrooms, sliced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 red onion, chopped
5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 tbsp. dry sherry (or any other wine of your choosing, white or red)
8 cups of tomatoes, chopped (any type you choose)
8 oz. quality mushrooms (of your choosing, about 10 mushrooms)
1/2 tbsp. Italian seasoning

How to:

Prepare all ingredients as noted.  
Set aside a small amount of the chopped onions & minced garlic.
Heat a large saucepan to medium heat and add 3 tbsp. of olive oil.  Add onions, garlic (other than the small bit you set aside) and saute for 2-3 minutes.
Add dry sherry (or wine of choice), then add the sliced white mushrooms (leave your premium mushrooms for later) and continue to saute for about 4 minutes or until mushrooms begin to cook through.
Add chopped tomatoes.  Continue to saute, stirring occasionally and smashing the tomatoes against the side of your pot with a wooden spoon.
Once the tomatoes are cooked down, dump the entire mixture into your blender and blend into a smooth sauce.
Meanwhile, add an additional 2 tbsp. of olive oil to your still warm pan, along with your set aside onions and garlic and premium mushrooms.  Saute until mushrooms are cooked through.
When done, add the sauce mixture back to the pot with sauteed premium mushrooms and stir.
Add 1/2 tbsp of Italian seasoning.
Presto.  You're done.  Enjoy over your favorite cooked pasta.





**I've shared this recipe at the following sites - follow the links for more great and tasty recipe ideas.

Kelly the Kitchen Kop - Real Food Wednesday



Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. Not only do I love a GOOD marinara recipe (and I can tell this one is by the ingredients), I am a bit of a mushroom snob. I love mushrooms -- especially the fancy smancy ones. They really make any dish better (except maybe chocolate ice cream, that might be gross). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! Thanks for commenting. I love mushrooms too, I would put them in just about everything.....I agree with you about the ice cream though!

      Delete
  2. I love mushroom too :-) this looks so delish :-) Dropping by from FTF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jessica! I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I always wondered how to do this! I'm a Hunts addict, but I'll be glad to try it when my tomatoes come in. Please come linky up at my new DIYLinky party at www.littlehouseinthesuburbs.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deanna thanks for stopping by! I will be sure to link up when I get back to a regular computer, it's a bit difficult from the tablet!

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious and it's healthy. I'll have to try it, and soon! I'm glad you left out the butter. I have a brand new blog--Define Inspiration ~ Mind~ Body~Soul--and I'd love for you to stop by and follow if you'd like. I'm following you via my Google Reader feed.

    BTW--love the collages too!

    http://defineinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! That caprese salad on your blog looks delish! I've got you in my feed!

      Delete

I ♥ comments! Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover