Farmer's Market & Training Update

We have a great Farmer's Market here in good ol' Sac-Town.  I saw a Yelp review this week that compared it to a French market and I would have to agree.  The amount of stuff they have is endless, way beyond fruit and veggies.  There is something about going to the market on Sunday morning that makes me happy.  I love the atmosphere, the smells and just the whole vibe of the place. 

At some point I plan to do a detailed post about the market, vendors and all of the good stuff (like Pretzel Croissants!), but today I just wanted to share my haul from last weekend....check it out:


I liked this photo so much I made the new blog background (in case you didn't notice).  But seriously, all of this for $39.  I don't know if that seems like a lot, but it would have been way more if I tried to buy it in the grocery store, especially since a lot of this stuff is organic.  Plus, the farmer's market goods always last way longer since they are so fresh.  All together I got:
  • 30 eggs ($6!)
  • 1lb mixed zesty salad greens (organic)
  • 2 heads of lettuce (organic)
  • 3 red onions (organic)
  • 1 bunch purple carrots (so good and organic)
  • 6 plum tomatoes (organic)
  • 1 bunch golden beets (organic)
  • 2 leeks (organic)
  • 4 peaches (organic)
  • 4 nectarines (organic)
  • 4 pluots (local)
  • 4 plums (local)
  • 3 green bell peppers (local)
  • 2 cucumbers (local)
I can't wait to go back this Sunday!

Now, onto training......

So last week I mentioned that I was going to train for this:
BUT....after going to register I've changed my mind.  First off, the super sprint is $100!  That is probably not a lot considering the course area, ocean swim and popularity of the race, but I'm used to my local $65 races.  So, considering how our calendar looks that weekend, driving to Monterey at 6PM, racing for an hour the next morning and turning around to go home right after the race just doesn't seem worth it.

Instead I'm looking at doing TBF Racing's Clif Bar Team Challenge
I've been wanting to do this for a long time but we usually have a conflict.  This year we are waiting to see if it will conflict with my cousin's wedding, but hopefully it won't.  If not, I'll be racing with IronMom (my mom) and The Cyclist.  We should be able to do some damage!

Otherwise this week - I had hoped to do a run or, wishfully, a run and a ride last weekend; I did neither.  Spending time with The Cyclist, The Munchkin and lots of other good friends took prevalence over exercise, and that is fine.  This week I have managed to ride my bike everyday again (woot-woot!).  I rode an extra 15 miles on Monday.  On Tuesday I attempted to run with Otis (The Dog), but it was hard and hot....I'm going to be glad I made the attempt and leave it at that.  On Wednesday I swam again.  So overall, doing good!  It feels good to be exercising regularly and I don't feel bad about all the cookies I've been making with my new Kitchen Aid mixer (I love that thing!).  I swear, 90% of why I exercise is food.

Coming soon I will review a great fish recipe and tell you all about Pizza Night!


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments! Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover