Orange Snickerdoodles.....50/50 Cookies

Hello everyone.  Orange you glad you stopped by today?

Oh my.  That was terrible.  Let's start over.



Hello everyone.  Do you remember those 50/50 bars the ice cream trucks sold when we were kids?  You know, orange Popsicle on the outside, cream in the middle.....or was that a Creamsicle?  I don't remember.  I do remember eating like 4 of them at one sitting and completely denying to my mom that I did it.  Sorry mom. They were just so good.


They were also like that orange/vanilla ice cream you used to be able to get.  The kind that came in a block carton and looked like a checkerboard on the side.

Did you know they don't manufacture the block cardboard ice cream cartons anymore?  At least we can't get them here.  I went looking and the grocery guy told me they are all round now.



Weirdly, all this talk of 50/50 madness is reminding me of a Garfield beach towel I used to have.  It had Garfield all decked out with top hat and taps.  I thought it was extremely cool and my brother thought I was a big nerd.  I just couldn't understand why he didn't think that towel was *SO*COOL* like I did.

In weirder news, apparently my brain associates all things orange into one category.  Garfield, 50/50 bars....you know, all that stuff.  This is totally normal right?


Anyway, these cookies are like all that 50/50 stuff.  There is something so right about orange and vanilla. Wrapped up in a snickerdoodle package these sure taste good.

This recipe is adapted from BHG's snickerdoodles.

Ingredients
1/2 cup salted butter*
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
Zest of 1 orange (zest two if you want some extra zest to top your cookie)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

How to:
Preheat oven to 375.
Beat the butter and sugar until creamy.
Add baking soda, cream of tartar and zest of 1 orange and mix well.
Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
Add flour in parts until it is all combined.
Cover dough and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour (or freezer for 20 minutes).
Combine 2 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon in a flat bottom bowl (or a pie pan).
Roll dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture to coat.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack.
Eat!!

*I know I know.  You're supposed to use unsalted butter in baking.  For the most part I agree.  But, in my humble opinion snickerdoodles need salted butter otherwise they turn out a bit bland.  So there.

Happy Day to you!
TCW



















Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ comments! Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover